The blog is set up so that the most recent post is shown first. If you want to catch up on what's been happening, start at the bottom and scroll up. You can also click "older posts" at the bottom of the page or use the blog archive on the left side of this homepage. If you want to know what time it is in the Ukraine, click on the link to the left that says "Clock and weather".

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Only two days...but it feels like a lifetime

For the first time in a while, we were able to sleep in today...until 6:30 am. Our trip to the airport was uneventful until about 10 minutes before we arrived. Candace can I put this...some trouble. A word for the wise, never eat foreign fruit for breakfast and then embark on a 30 minute ride in the back of a fast moving minivan if you get motion sickness. Fortunately, the doctor, Alexandra, and myself were in the row behind her. Unfortunately, the floor, the two walls, and the ceiling of the van were ahead of her, as was the poor driver. I am not sure if it was all of the raspberries this morning or the week of eating borscht, but it was something else. I write this as Candace laughs hysterically beside me. To give her credit, as we were stopped at the side of the road with the driver cleaning the van and me cleaning off Candace she was laughing as well, although it was more of a combined laughing / crying thing.
After our little diversion, we started off again for the airport. Candace still wasn't feeling 100% so I got to sit with Alexandra for the whole flight. While I felt bad for my wife I couldn't complain about the excellent seating arrangements. At the airport we were greeted by another facilitator who was accompanied by one of the other couples that we connected with earlier in the week. It was a incredibly proud moment, I let the two bags go that I was pulling, picked Alexandra up, took her hat off, fixed her hair, and walked over to the other couple to show her off. Things are working out for them as well so we could not be happier. The 90 minute drive back was interesting...we had all of our bags with us so in order to get them into the trunk the driver wrapped the spare tire in a blanket and put it on the floor of the back seat. Then, we picked up the doctor's daughter who attends university in the city to which we flew. So, there were five adults, a three-and-a-half year old, and a full size spare in a car about the size of a Dodge Neon. Everyone seemed okay though, Candace and Alexandra slept, the doctor and her daughter visited, the driver drove, and I alternated looking at the countryside with head turns to make sure that my two girls were sleeping soundly. We got back to our new "home town" around 2:30 pm. We stopped at the orphanage first and I as I carried Alexandra in I started humming again quietly. Within about ten feet, and for the duration of our walk to her room, she sang her song once more. I am not sure what the words are, but when I hear it, I imagine she is singing "I love Mommy, I love Daddy" over and over again. Given all that she had been through since early yesterday morning, Candace and I decided that we would let her rest for the remainder of the day. It was so great to spend two full days with Alexandra. I imagine all parents are pretty biased when it comes to their children but I have to say she is amazing. When we first arrived at the hotel, Candace and I spent about an hour talking about her and all of the things that she did during our trip. Most amazingly was the fact that none of it seemed to faze her. She did many things she had never done before and she did it with curious eyes wide open and a smile on her face.
Some of the comments yesterday sort of asked about the process. Here is a quick overview of what we expect to happen. On Monday, we visit the local inspector and it takes a couple of days for him to approve the adoption. Then we wait for a court date, which could take place any time in the next two weeks. After the court date, there is a mandatory ten-day waiting period until the adoption is finalized. Until then we will stay in this faraway place, visiting the orphanage in the morning from 9:00 - 12:00 and then later from 3:30 - 6:00. After the waiting period expires, Alexandra is officially ours. We will then head back to Kiev for 2 - 3 days to get her passport and visa before getting back on the plane for Winnipeg and our new family life back home. So in 15 - 25 days, we will be back, and I will start thinking of reasons why all the four year old boys in town are nothing but trouble and why they have no business calling my daughter.


kim young said...

I am so excited for you. I think that my dad is just as excited as he checks your blog for me every morning and then calls me to read it to me over the phone. I think we are both choked up by the end of the update. I know that you are going to have the most memorable of christmases. I look forward to reading your updates over the holidays. Take care.

kim young

The Bryce's said...

This is all so incredibly exciting and moving to so many people. I was telling some friends about all this at our church concert last night, and had tears well up again. This amazing story is just the beginning for you - becoming a parent is without a doubt the best decision I've made. Knowing my kids and being in their lives is something I cherish every day. Thank you for letting us all share in your excitement. Enjoy every moment! God bless!

Raymond said...

Hey Bro !! Congrats ya'll. What frigging nice Xmas present, eh. Love you guys, can't wait to see a pic of my new niece.

Your Nephew Tyler Bushen said...

Hey Uncle Stephen how are you? This is Tyler Bushen ur nephew in Bridgewater Nova Scotia. I'm happy for you that you adopted a girl. Well hae fun, byes!!!


Megan said...

We are so very happy for you three. It will be so great to see you all soon. Have a most joyous holiday and we are all thinking of you here. Cassy can hardly contain her excitement as she will have some new to babysit, as Amy is so happy to have Alexandria to play with.

Terri said...

Hey!! So I got an e-mail from Chelsey yesterday saying URGENT in the subject box... and the message she left told me to go check ur blog asap. Then not long after that I got a call from mom, saying "did u check the blog yet?" Of course it made me cry, and while I was telling Martin about it I started crying again. I cannot wait till you all come home, hope I can make it home to see ya'll! Take care and CONGRATULATIONS! You are all in my prayers!

Love Terri

p.s. it made Chelsey and I laugh imagining Candace laughing in the internet cafe. ;) (miss you!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! It's a girl!!!! Enjoy your time with her and hurry home in time for Ukranian Christmas. Having her come home will be such an amazing adventure. I am so happy for all three of you. Coleen Smitke

kathen said...

Congratulations to the David Family! We are so excited for you, may you continue to have great luck and happy times. Looking forward to meeting Alexandra.

Rick, Kathy, Brynne, and Bob H.

Sandy Masniuk said...

Just me again with more happy tears! What an amazing experience these last few days have been! Candace, I hope you're feeling better. Your story made me laugh--hard. Nothing like a first impression! Ha ha! Stephen, you have a knack for writing your blog as though we are there with you. Thanks for allowing us all a glimpse into your miracle moments! Enjoy every moment and keep humming that song! Best wishes to all three of you!

Monique said...

Hi Stephen, Candace and Mila Alexandra,

I have been following along your journey and am so very pleased for all of you. I have also shared your blog with my girls and they are so very excited for you and your daughter. Our family could not be any happier for your family. Smooth sailing the rest of your stay.


Brad said...

Hey Mr. and Mrs. David congratulations! You folks will be awesome parents. Hopefully everything keeps going smoothly and take care.