The blog is set up so that the most recent post is shown first. If you want to catch up on what's been happening, start at the bottom and scroll up. You can also click "older posts" at the bottom of the page or use the blog archive on the left side of this homepage. If you want to know what time it is in the Ukraine, click on the link to the left that says "Clock and weather".

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Two languages to learn?

I ordered a couple of phrase books to help use become more familiar with the languages we might encounter...one Ukrainian and one Russian. These books arrived today. Given that we don't know where we might end up once we get there, we need to be prepared for both. If we travel to the eastern side of the Ukraine, for example, most of the people are of Russian descent. Candace seems to be doing pretty well in preparing for the trip...she is spending time every day trying to learn the basic words and phrases. For myself, it has been pretty busy with work and in preparing for the trip, so I have had little time to learn much of the language. I have some things on my iPod that I have been listening to...but I expect I will do the crash-course method and read the phrase books during our flight. Hopefully, being immersed in the language while we are there will help.

No comments: